| Safety/Crisis/Emergency Preparedness Plan
CODE RED-armed intruder, hostage, kidnapping, armed robbery
In the event of a dangerous intruder walking in or around the school, an announcement of “code red” will be made. This indicates a need for lock down-everyone is to get inside and lock the door.
1. Students should be advised that when they hear this announcement, they are to get inside to the closest classroom. Errands, restrooms, outside play will all be interrupted during Code Red. Students who are outside should NOT reenter during a lock down to avoid walking into the dangerous situation. Gather students and move to perimeter of playground.
2. Keep all students quiet, turn out lights.
3. Get students into protected position, sitting or crouching.
4. Do not leave classroom for any reason.
5. Emergency team will report to designated areas and complete assignments.
CODE YELLOW- Unarmed intruder, suspicious packages, bomb threat, confrontations
1. Lock doors, but admit students assigned to your class.
2. If outside, remain outside until directed to do otherwise.
3. Do not leave your class or allow students to leave.
4. Continue instruction
5. Create a list of students not in the classroom.
6. Call office in an emergency.
7. Do not make cell phone calls.
CODE RED OR YELLOW “WITH EVACUATION”- Chemical spill, gas leak, explosion, major fire, plane crash
We have monthly drills with the Jacksonville Beach Fire Department present. School security and the Sonitrol Monitoring Station are contacted automatically. Evacuation for a fire is to the school grounds.
We have an annual drill and teachers review the cause and effects of tornados and procedures to follow. All classes move to the inside, downstairs corridors or windowless classrooms on the first floor. A tornado watch is announced when applicable and indicates a need to be ready. A warning, when announced, will require moving to the hallways.
Other Safety Reminders
1. When sending students on an errand or to the restroom, send a pair.
2. Lock classroom door when leaving for resource, recess, and at the end of the day.
3. Avoid leaving the class alone, except for emergencies.
4. Any adult who is not wearing a badge or visitor’s sticker should be sent to the office.
5. Review Code Red, Code Yellow, and evacuation procedures with students.
Jacksonville Beach Elementary School