Media Advisory - Andrew Jackson High School Hosts South Carolina State University Annual Scholarship Event
Superintendent Ed Pratt-Dannals, School Board members and the students, faculty and staff at Andrew Jackson High School will welcome representatives from South Carolina State University (SCSU) for the annual scholarship event. The event will also serve as Andrew Jackson’s kick-off for Black History Month celebrations.
Assistant Vice President of SCSU, Mr. Antonio Boyle, will award scholarships to select, deserving students. Middle and high school bands, JROTC cadets and the school’s choir will perform.
High school juniors and seniors are invited to the event where university officials will be onsite admitting and providing information about the school.
Students will need to bring an official high school transcript, a senior course schedule and national examination scores to take full advantage of the opportunities presented.
For the past several years SCSU has held an event in Jacksonville and awarded nearly $1.5 million dollars in scholarship opportunities for Duval County Public Schools’ students and students in surrounding areas.
During the week, several SCSU representatives will be visiting high schools throughout the county. The
main scholarship event will take place on Friday, February 10, from 6 to 9 p.m. at Andrew Jackson High.
The city's first lady, Santhea Brown, is expected to give opening remarks.
- Tuesday, February 7, 2012
- 8 - 9 a.m. - Samuel W. Wolfson High (Army- ROTC School)
- 11 a.m. - 12 p.m. - Englewood High (Army - ROTC School)
- 2 SCSU representatives
- 8 - 9 a.m. - Robert E. Lee High (Navy - ROTC School)
- 11 a.m. - 12 p.m. - First Coast High (Navy - ROTC School)
- Wednesday, February 8, 2012
- 8 - 9 a.m. - Andrew Jackson High (Air Force- ROTC School)
- 11 a.m. - 12 p.m. - William M. Raines High (Army - ROTC School)
- 2 SCSU Representatives
- 7 - 8 a.m. - Baldwin Middle/Senior High
- 10 a.m. - 12 p.m. - Nathan B. Forrest High
- 11 a.m. - 12 p.m. - Edward H. White High (Navy - ROTC School)
- Thursday, February 9, 2012
- 7 - 8 a.m. - Mandarin High (Navy - ROTC School)
- 10 a.m. - 12 p.m. - Jean Ribault High (Marine- ROTC)
- 12:30 - 1:30 p.m. - Stanton College Preparatory School
- Friday, February 10, 2012
- 9 - 10 a.m. - Douglas Anderson School of the Arts
- 11 a.m. - 12 p.m. - Paxon School for Advanced Studies (Army - ROTC)
- 5 - 6 p.m. - A special scholarship event for JROTC Cadets- Andrew Jackson High
Main scholarship event - Andrew Jackson High, 3816 Main St. N., Jacksonville, FL 32206
Duval County Public Schools operates 177 schools and serves approximately 125,000 students. The school district is committed to providing high quality educational opportunities that will inspire all students to acquire and use the knowledge and skills needed to succeed in a global economy and culturally diverse world.
More DCPS News