Spotlight On Education
September 28, 2012
Highlands Middle Hosts Brunch for Partners and Mentors
A special brunch was held at Highlands Middle School to bring its business partners and mentors up to speed on school-related successes and goals for the 2012-13 school year.
Topics discussed included the school's grade and the importance of increasing the number of volunteers and mentors at the school.
Those attending the event included representatives from the United Way of Northeast Florida and Big Brothers/Big Sisters of Northeast Florida, who shared information about mentorship opportunities.
The school's volunteer liaison Ronald Walters encouraged attendees to recruit co-workers, neighbors and church members to serve as volunteers or mentors.
The event ended with a Q&A session, followed by Dr. Tyrone Blue, the school's principal, presenting superlative awards to the following business and faith-based partners:
- Inspirational Award - New Dimensions Cathedral of Faith, Rev. Dr. Cedric King, Pastor;
- Contribution Award - Open Arms Christian Fellowship Rev. Leofric Thomas, Pastor;
- Teachers' Choice Award - Panera Bread (Regency location);
- Longevity Award - Firehouse Subs (Dunn Avenue location); and
- Principal's Award - Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q (John Raineri, Managing Partner)
More 'Spotlight on Education' Articles
Stay connected to the latest school news and events